Artificial Intelligence is Dangerous
Conservatives are far more likely than liberals to be fearful of artificial intelligence and many movies and TV shows feed into those phobias by painting AI in an almost universally negative and frightening way. A common trope in dystopian movies and TV shows is some form of AI going rogue and unleashing inconceivable destruction on the hapless humans now under its control, which only reinforces conservatives belief that AI is threatening.
Liberals are able to enjoy these types of movies for their entertainment value, but aren't as susceptible to believing an AI dominated dystopian world is imminent. Liberals also appreciate the positive aspects of AI like advancements in medical care and safety standards even though Hollywood rarely, if ever, highlights AI's benefits.
Conservative Trope Examples
- A federal government computer system becomes artificially intelligent and uses computer technology, the Internet and surveillance data to manipulate them to do her bidding.
- Humans have been living a peaceful coexistence with robots who help make their lives easier to manage, but Detective Del Spooner (Will Smith) doesn't trust them one bit. The robots follow the "Three Laws of Robotics" which regulate how they are to interact with humans, but nefarious actors have other ideas and unleash an army of robots who move to take over the world and subjugate humans purportedly for their own good because they were careening towards extension.
- Humans create artificial intelligence in the future, and it backfires causing the remaining human race to hide underground from killer AI robots.
- Skynet is an AI system that tried to exterminate humans by unleashing a global nuclear attack.
- A machine with control of the United States nuclear arsenal gains artificial intelligence and threatens nuclear war after high school kid David (Matthew Broderick) hacks their network with a computer modem.Other Tropes: Government Vulnerable to Hacking