Cognitive Disabilities Depicted Negatively
Table Of Contents
Conservative Trope Examples
- The Hangover (2009) | Slurs About Cognitive Disabilities on ScreenAlan mispronounces the word "retard" and when asked what he meant, mispronounces it again. Doug corrects him and says it's "RE-tard."
- Waiting (2005) | Slurs About Cognitive Disabilities on ScreenMonty (Ryan Reynolds) tells Dean (Justin Long) he can "get a job substitute teaching for r*tarded kids or something" after he asked what type of job he could get with an Associates Degree.
- The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) | Slurs About Cognitive Disabilities on ScreenA woman asks Andy (Steve Carell) "are you f*cking r#tarded? What the hell is the matter with you?" after he asks her the same question twice during a round of speed dating.Staff AsideCal (Seth Rogan) told him to "just ask questions" and apparently he took that literally.
- Ocean's Twelve (2004) | Slurs About Cognitive Disabilities on ScreenTopher Grace playing Topher Grace yells out, "Jesus Christ, are you people retarded? It says Do Not Disturb!" when Rusty knocks on his hotel room door. He trashed his room and talks erratically, "I'm sorry. Russ, look, I know this is your joint. I just... there's this girl. I love her, man. I love her, but she is driving me crazy! I can't sleep. I can't work. I quit the show. I totally phoned in that Dennis Quaid movie. I mean, it's like..."Staff AsideThis is over the top self-deprecating satire about Hollywood actors, but not everyone will realize it. And humor and satire is a great way to subconsciously promote negative beliefs about actors, Hollywood and young people. And do not overlook the fact they picked a young actor over an older one for this role. That was purposeful as false negative stereotypes about young people are easy go-tos for laughs so it would not have been as funny as an older actor.
- Half Baked (1998) | Slurs About Cognitive Disabilities on ScreenThurgood (Dave Chappelle) says "you've smoked yourself r*tarded" to Brian (Jim Breuer) after he offers to dress up as a Jamaican and meet with drug kingpin Mr. Sampson.Staff AsideBrian is white as white can be, so it would be pretty challenging for him to moonlight as a Jamaican.
- If people with cognitive disabilities are depicted negatively on screen, people will think it's ok to do the same in real life. It normalizes the behavior.
- Liberals are often accused of being overly politically correct by conservatives when championing issues such as people with cognitive disabilities depicted negatively on screen