Womens' Sexuality Portrayed Negatively
Table Of Contents
Explanation of Conservative Trope
Hollywood is rife with sexist tropes dealing with women's sexuality. Trump loving conservative men love to objectify women while social conservatives often slut shame them. They both are critical of women's behavior when it comes to sexuality and lash out against anyone who calls them out.
Conservative Trope Examples
- Why Him (2016) | Crude Comments Objectifying Womens' Appearance for LaughsLaird (James Franco) tells Stephanie (Zoey Deutch) her mom "is a MILF. Like, a genuine MILF. And if it wasn't your MILF, she'd be a MIWF, a mother I would f*ck" even after she asks him to stop talking about "how hot my mom is."
- Bad Santa 2 (2016) | Women Objectified on ScreenWillie (Billy Bob Thornton) stops and stares at a group of women wearing tight athletic garb in a cycling class as the camera zooms in and focuses on various women's backsides.
- Bad Santa 2 (2016) | Women Objectified for LaughsWillie (Billy Bob Thornton) stares at a voluptuous young woman breastfeeding her child while driving a car and crashes into a valet stand because he is focusing on her.
- Bass fisherman Skeet Martin very aggressively pursues Jane throughout the episode even creepily renaming his boat from "Skeetster" to "Janester." Yet at the very end she relents and watches the sunset in his boat parked on the street while drinking champagne. It is only for ten minutes, but she tells him to call her the next time he's in Boston.
- Colin Quinn portraying Amy Townsend's (Amy Schumer) dad tells her he has "no desire for an oriental woman to touch me above the waist" after she encourages him to get acupuncture therapy.Staff AsideWhile played for laughs, the comment plays into the trope about Asian women giving men "happy endings" after a massage.Other Tropes: Women Objectified via Cliches
- Kingsman The Secret Service (2014) | Women Objectified in Overly Gratuitous ScenesPrincess Tilde (Hanna Alstrom) promises Eggsy (Taron Egerton) that "we can do it in the asshole" if he saves the world after visiting with her outside of the room she's being held prisoner in. After Eggsy saves the world he grabs a bottle of champagne and two glasses and sprints to the room Princess Tilde is being held in, loosens his tie, and then enters her room. Then the camera zooms in on her naked bottom right as the movie ends.
- Horrible Bosses 2 (2014) | Women Using Sex Appeal to Get Stuff From MenKurt (Jason Sudeikis) hires a beautiful young woman on the spot despite her having "no work experience at all." Later Kurt does it again and hires two additional good-looking young women who aren't qualified for the job. After Nick tell him he has to "stop hiring hot, unqualified women" he says "what's the point of being the boss if you can't stock the pond a little?"
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) | Women Spied on via Hidden CameraJordan Belfort (Leonardo DiCaprio) points to a teddy bear in his child's room and tells his wife there is a hidden camera inside of it after she sensually exposed herself with her legs wide open and no underwear on, but then tells him she isn't going to be intimate with him for "a very, very, very long time."
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) | Sexual Assault Not Taken SeriouslyJordan sexually assaults female flight attendants in first class during boarding to the tune of the very upbeat song "Sloop John B." Not only is he still allowed to fly -- albeit strapped to his seat -- he is released without any charges after landing in Switzerland.
- We're the Millers (2013) | Women Objectified for LaughsJennifer Aniston encourages new dancer "Kimberly with a Y" to come up with a stage name to help protect herself from all the creeps who frequent the strip club they work at. She asks Kimberly if she has a nickname and she excitedly replies "totally!" as she proudly shows off her stomach tattoo that spells out "Boner Garage" with an arrow pointing downwards. Moments later the manager walks in and yells for "Boner Garage" to head to the stage.
- We're the Millers (2013) | Womens' Looks Used as a Distraction to Men for LaughsThe Miller family is in deep trouble with a Mexican drug cartel when Jennifer Aniston offers to perform a strip tease for its leader to prove she's "worth way more alive than I am dead." She proceeds to do a 1 minute 58 second dance in which she stripped down to her nude colored underwear, showered herself, literally sent sparks flying and gave the cartel leader a lap dance. After nobody in the family got her subtle hints to go after the cartel leader while his head was buried in her chest she took it upon herself to attack him by hitting him with a pipe which was followed by a heavy gust of steam.
- Grown Ups 2 (2013) | Women Objectified for LaughsSquats Fitness janitor Jon Lovitz begins a ladies fitness class over protests that their instructor hasn't arrived and has them begin with breathing exercises that "really stretch out those lungs," which has the effect of making the women's breasts appear larger and more refined. He then has the ladies "shimmy, shake those shoulders back and forth" as ogles at the ladies breasts bouncing back and forth.
- Grown Ups 2 (2013) | Women Objectified for LaughsMultiple men ogle a ballet teacher in a very revealing outfit as she leads a performance with kids on stage for families in the audience. While the kids dance normally, her moves are depicted in an over the top gratuitous way. Chris Rock and David Spade appear stunned while Nick Swardson and Shaquille O'Neal stand with mouths agape. David Spade waves four $1 bills as if he were at a strip club. Kevin James is shown filming the performance with his camcorder and his wife says "look at her!" excited about their daughter. He responds "I am. I'm looking at her!" as he focuses on the ballet teacher instead.
- Grown Ups 2 (2013) | Women Objectified via ClichesThe guy's wives dressed in bikini's dramatically appear from behind the fire truck right before a pickup basketball game starts.
- The Internship (2013) | Overly Aggressive Pursuit of Women WorksNick Campbell (Owen Wilson) interrupts Dana multiple inappropriate times when she is busy at work including in a Google pod quiet area in an attempt to ask her out. Despite his behavior, she eventually agrees to go to dinner with him and they end up dating.
- The Internship (2013) | Women "Too Dumb" to Realize They are Being ObjectifiedWill Ferrell “helps out” an attractive woman buy a mattress by having her get on a mattress and then put her in obviously inappropriate and suggestive poses with him under the guise of helping. Of course, she cluelessly thinks nothing of it and lets him continue doing it.
- The Way Way Back (2013) | Women Objectified for LaughsOwen (Sam Rockwell) has a waterslide attendant make a woman in a bikini wait so he and his new young and shy protégé can ogle her for 34 seconds (yes, we timed it). And then, they slide down right after her where Owen pretends to lose his balance after landing in the water as an excuse to grab onto the woman's waist.
- This Is 40 (2012) | Women "Too Oblivious" to Realize They are Being ObjectifiedProfessional trainer Jason (Jason Segel) tells Desi (Megan Fox) that she's "a beautiful woman, but not totally maxed out" and went on to rate her on a scale of 1-10, giving her a "six, a six and a half," but lets her know that he can make her "an eleven," as if it's totally normal to rate a woman right to her face. Instead of being horrified by his behavior, Desi excitedly asks for his help in getting a higher number on his completely manufactured scale.
- This Is 40 (2012) | Men Competing for the Same WomanJason (Jason Segel) and Ronnie (Chris O'Dowd) compete for Desi's (Megan Fox) attention, with Ronnie saying "mine" after they both notice her swimming in a bikini.
- The Dictator (2012) | Sexy Women BodyguardsThe Dictator (Sacha Baron Cohen) has sexy uniformed bodyguards who also wear high heels.Staff AsideThis is satire, of course, making fun of real-life sexist dictators, but the jokes still perpetuate negative stereotypes;such as, the women bodyguards dress sexy and wear high heels. You rarely if ever see comparable satirical scenes about men.
- Bad Teacher (2011) | Women Using Sex to Get Stuff from MenElizabeth Halsey (Cameron Diaz) has a number of drinks with Professor Carl at a bar before telling him that a fantasy of hers is "getting fu*ked really hard against a wooden desk" in someone's office. Carl excitedly invites her to his office, but when they get there to presumably have sex, she drugs his glass of wine and then steals the answers to a statewide test she was after.
- Bad Teacher (2011) | Women Using Sex Appeal to Get Stuff From MenThe main theme of the movie is that Elizabeth Halsey (Cameron Diaz) is an amoral and manipulative woman who uses her sex appeal to get what she wants. She was initially engaged to a rich guy solely for his money and later tries to embezzle money from a middle-school car wash in order to get breast implants so she can catch the eye of Mr. Delacorte (Justin Timberlake), who is a wealthy substitute teacher at the school she's working at.
- Bad Teacher (2011) | Car Wash Scenes that Objectify WomenElizabeth Halsey (Cameron Diaz) leads a car wash fundraiser dressed in clothing definitely not suitable for a teacher interacting with middle school students. With a rock ballad playing in the background she proceeds to "wash" a sports car, but intentionally washes herself as much as the car itself. All the dads, middle-school boys and even a police officer couldn't help but stare at Ms. Halsey, with the police officer even crashing into a number of cars before driving away.
- Rick (Owen Wilson) turns around and casually checks out a good-looking woman's backside while walking with his wife. His wife lightly scolds him for checking "out that girl's butt," but instead of apologizing he asks "do you think she noticed?"
- Hall Pass (2011) | Crude Comments About Woman's Appearance for LaughsRick's (Owen Wilson) young kids ask him if their mom doesn't wear a bikini anymore because "of her fat ass." He sighs heavily and says "yea, I guess," before realizing that he's talking to his kids and tries to walk it back.
- Hall Pass (2011) | Women Depicted as a Prize to be Won or OwnedCoakley tells Rick (Owen Wilson) and Fred (Jason Sudeikis) at a club that, "ok, boys, you're on the clock now" as if meeting women is a competition with a timer.
- Hall Pass (2011) | Crude Comments Objectifying Womens' Appearance for LaughsRick "Owen Wilson" and Fred (Jason Sudeikis) talk about "the shiny new set of cans on Mandy Bohan (Alyssa Milano)" and agree her breasts have to be fake or else "she's buying her t-shirts at Baby Gap" and then begin debating the breasts of all the other women in their group.
- Larry reminds his wife Mandy (Alyssa Milano) the they paid for "a couple of fairly substantial expenditures recently" as the camera focuses in on her large breasts in a tight lowcut t-shirt, implying she had breast augmentation surgery.
- Rick (Owen Wilson) is infatuated with a coffee house barista wearing a revealing tight shirt and can't stop commenting on her looks. The barista soon turns around and slowly bends over to pick something up from the floor while the camera focuses on her buttocks.
- Hall Pass (2011) | Crude Comments About Woman's Appearance for LaughsFred says "that woman needs something in her mouth!" about a woman in a nightclub who has recently quit smoking as if putting his penis in her mouth would instantly alleviate her anxiousness due to nicotine addiction.
- Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010) | Women Depicted as a Prize to be Won or OwnedThe entire movie is literally having a woman be a prize to be won. Scott Pilgrim has to defeat Ramona Flower's seven evil exes in order to date her in scenes that are spoofed to look like playing a video game.
- Grown Ups (2010) | Women Objectified for LaughsAdam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, and David Spade "take shifts" gawking at Rob Schneider's scantily clad daughter's backside as she works on her broken-down car. Chris Rock says he hopes "that car never gets fixed" and David Spade assures him it won't because he "took the spark plugs out."
- Mayhem occurs in the precinct with "perps" going wild, including two women who rip off their shirts while fighting leading to one landing on the desk Castle is sitting at while eating popcorn enjoying the spectacle with a big smile on his face.
- Castle signs a woman's breast at a book release party.
- Zombieland (2009) | Women Using Sex Appeal to Get Stuff From MenWichita (Emma Stone) crawls on her hands and knees in a very suggestive way ostensibly searching for her lost engagement ring, but what she really was doing was setting up a con to dupe a hapless gas station attendant to hand over all the money in his register, which he happily did.Staff AsideThe scene was a flashback to before the Zombie apocalypse, with Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) narrating that he liked Wichita because "she's not your typical hot, stuck-up b*tch" and that "before Zombieland Wichita was running the table on guys like us."
- All About Steve (2009) | Women Acting Normal to ObjectificationHartman (Thomas Haden Church) slaps Mary (Sandra Bullock) on her backside and tells her to "have a nice life" after they are rescued from a well they were stuck in. Mary giggles and responds "ok!" as she walks away.
- The Hangover (2009) | Catcalling for Laughs"Ma'am, in the leopard dress, you have an amazing rack," says Phil over a megaphone while driving in Las Vegas in a commandeered police car
- Observe and Report (2009) | Sexual Assault of Nonconsenting Woman Not Taken SeriouslyRonnie (Seth Rogan) has sex with Brandi (Anna Faris) while she's passed out on tequila and antidepressants and pauses realizing that maybe this is not a good thing to do. But it's all good because Brandi wakes up and immediately yells out, "Did I tell you to stop, mother-f*#$*#!?" And so he is free to continue without worry.
- I Love You Man (2009) | Women Not Having Sex Depicted NegativelySydney (Jason Segel) tells Peter's (Paul Rudd) wife to "give it [oral sex] back, yeah? Return the favor" while giving a toast during a large dinner party after Peter sheepishly (but privately) implied to Sydney that his wife doesn't like giving him oral sex anymore.
- My Best Friends Girl (2008) | Body Shaming WomenTank (Dane Cook) fat shames a woman at the bar by cruelly comparing her to NFL linebackers and wondering if her new infant was "delicious" because it looks like she "downed the whole thing."