Men Lampooned for Not Being "Manly" Enough
Table Of Contents
Conservative Trope Examples
- Phil (Bradley Cooper) lampoons Alan (Zach Galifianakis) for wearing a "man purse" and Alan proudly responds it's a satchel and reminds him that "Indiana Jones wears one." Phil responds "so does Joy Behar."Staff AsideThe scene is obviously played for laughs, but it perpetuates the stereotype that men are supposed to wear "manly things" and women are supposed to wear "womanly things."
- Sydney (Jason Segel) tells Peter (Paul Rudd) to "gently remove [his] tampon and try again" as he coaches him to yell like a manly man.
- Billy Costigan orders a cranberry juice, and a connected man at the bar asks him is he's on his period. So he hits him. And then Frenchie, a mob guy, intervenes and asks him the same thing again about being on his period.
- Hollywood perpetuates negative false notions that if men don't act in certain ways, it means they are not a man. In real-life that is not the case, but many people will believe so because of its depiction on screen.
- Women too may decide that men need to act certain ways from watching movies & TV shows and that also perpetuates the false stereotype
- The right is often obsessive with false notions of "manliness" and that men have to act certain ways different than women