Women are Easily Smitten by Men
Table Of Contents
Explanation of Conservative Trope
Men being smitten by a supermodel or women being smitten by a star athlete is normal in real life or on screen. On screen, there are many scenarios where women are easily smitten by ordinary men that would never happen in real life (sometimes comically so), but you rarely see it the other way around where a man is easily smitten by a woman that wouldn't happen in real life.
Women and men are sometimes instantly attracted to each other. But there is a process in how this works in real life. A shirtless Matthew McConaughey or Will Smith in some of their most iconic roles will turn womens' heads just like the equivalent actresses for men. But there are many occasions in movies where you would not think someone would be so easily smitten. How did that person suddenly fall for the other person so quickly and easily? And in most of these cases it is usually women who are so easily smitten - either for real or played for laughs. We listed some of the stand out examples from movies & TV shows below.
Conservative Trope Examples
- Severine (Berenice Marlohe) is a former sex slave who asks James Bond to kill the villain she works for, Silva. On the way to Silva's island via yacht, Severine takes a shower alone. Despite no prior romantic interactions between the two, James Bond just enters the shower with Severine, seduces her and they have sex.Staff AsideNobody can resist James Bond!
- Cameron Diaz briefly meets Tom Cruise on a plane and is immediately smitten despite his odd behavior. She goes to freshen up in the airplane bathroom to make herself look sexier, and when she returns to meet Tom, she instantly kisses him. Tom does respond awkwardly at first, but it's because he just killed several assassins out to get him. They become an item and in the middle of a gunfight Cameron says that they have really great sex.
- Tony Stark calls woman reporter Christine Everheart 'honey' after she gives an aggressive interview over his company's weapons manufacturing. Having shown disdain for Tony during the entire interview, she then asks, "You ever lose an hour of sleep your whole life?" He responds, "I'd be prepared to lose a few with you" and just like that she is smitten, and they segue to her aggressively, uncontrollably kissing him before having sex in his bed.
- Linus Caldwell (Matt Damon) seduces a much older Abigail Sponder (Ellen Barkin) to gain access to a sensitive area where diamonds were hidden. They originally were going to have older Rusty do it but Linus points out that she is a "cougar". He also uses a drug that when she smells it, she is instantly smitten by him and acts like someone drunk.
- Kale (Shia LaBeouf) plays loud music to disrupt the party his neighbor Ashley -- who he's only briefly met -- is having because he likes her and is jealous. She comes over to stop it and confront him. He confesses he’s been watching her and clarifying that he's "only looking at you". She says that’s either the creepiest or sweetest thing she’s ever heard and then they make out in his bed.Staff AsideI guess it was the sweetest then?
- James Bond tells Vesper she's not his type because she's "single" after she asks him if she's "going to have a problem" with him during their first meeting together. After many will-they-won't-they moments throughout the film their sexual tension reaches its boiling point while Vesper is visiting Bond at a hospital and they presumably have sex on a hospital bed.
- Colin (Matt Damon) aggressively pursues Madolyn (Vera Farmiga) in a crowded elevator even holding the doors open after she gets off making people wait until she agrees to go out with him and gives him her business card.Other Tropes: Overly Aggressive Pursuit of Women Works
- Scott finally surprises his pen pal Mieke in person in Rome which is the central plot of the entire movie. He says that he loves her despite them never meeting in person before, and there is an awkward pause as he waits for an answer. The next scene shows them having sex in a confessional booth in the Vatican which is the literal climax of the movie.
- A woman working at a camera shop is smitten by a timid and awkward Jamie (Travis Wester) after only a very brief conversation about their shared interest in classic cameras. She takes him to the back alley and says she'll do anything he wants and then proceeds to give him oral sex.
- Colin, a young Englishman unsuccessful dating in his home country, travels to Wisconsin believing his British accent will change his luck. He meets Stacey, a gorgeous woman who would likely be way out of his league in England, at the first bar he walks in to and she starts flirting with him after hearing his accent. Stacey introduces Colin to her two extremely beautiful friends Jeannie and Carol-Anne and the three of them take turns asking him to say common words so they can giggle at his pronunciations. After finding out he doesn't have a place to stay they invite him over to their place, but, wouldn't you know it, they "aren't the richest of girls" and share one bed and sleep naked. As they are preparing to leave they tell him a fourth roommate will be joining them, but tell him not to worry because she's "the sexy one."Staff AsideThis is satire being so super over the top, but you'll never see this played the other way around. Can you imagine four very attractive men smitten by an average woman because of her accent and then taking her home with them where they all sleep in the same bed without much clothes on? You would think it's weird -- not funny. It indulges in and normalizes super over the top male fantasy cliches and the four actresses are objectified for laughs here taking the idea that Americans are attracted to British accents to a super extreme level.
- Dave (Adam Sandler) tells Kendra (Heather Graham) the reason he was so short with her during a previous encounter is because he was "on the verge of exploding in my pants." Instead of recoiling in shock, Kendra calls him cute and asks if she can buy him a drink.
- Frank (Leonardo DiCaprio) asks a flight attendant if she dropped a necklace and she giggles "no!" while he puts it around her neck. In the very next scene they are having sex and he whispers to her "this is by far the best date I have ever been on," causing her to giggle uncontrollably.
- Frank (Leonardo DiCaprio) walks by a number of bank tellers before settling on the prettiest one. He tells her that he'd "like to cash this check here, and then I'd like to take you out for a steak dinner," causing her to blush and giggle. Then she shows Frank how the bank manages the checks that come through and holds a check up to her breasts, but pulls it away as Frank moves his finger to touch the check, but winds up grazing her breast instead.Other Tropes: Women Helping Objectify Women
- John McClane has an attractive female rental car agent help him send a fax with bad guys finger prints. He gets confused on how the process works because he is terrible with technology. After this very brief encounter, she says "say, I close in about an hour. Maybe you and I can go get a drink?" John shows her his wedding ring which was obviously viewable to her for most of the time and says, "Just the fax, ma'am. Just the fax" smiles and leaves.Staff AsideEven when there is important police business going on, women are still smitten by Bruce Willis.
- As Indiana Jones teaches his archaeology class, a couple female students are shown staring at him as if they're smitten as he speaks and one gives him a look on the way out. The large majority of the students in the class are women and the scene insinuates the idea that many -- if not most -- of them probably took the class because they were attracted to Harrison Ford (who was 47 at the time the movie was released).Staff AsideThis is a running joke from the original that his female students are all attracted to him and that's why there are so many women in his class.
- Jeanie Bueller (Jennifer Grey) meets a bad boy loser in trouble for drugs played by Charlie Sheen while waiting in the police station for her mother to show up. At first, she is repulsed by him, but not long after they are making out.
- A college student was so smitten by Indiana Jones, she wrote "love you" on her eyelids to catch his attention in class. Harrison Ford was 39 years old at the time.