Sexual Assault Not Taken Seriously
Table Of Contents
Conservative Trope Examples
- Jordan sexually assaults female flight attendants in first class during boarding to the tune of the very upbeat song "Sloop John B." Not only is he still allowed to fly -- albeit strapped to his seat -- he is released without any charges after landing in Switzerland.
- Observe and Report (2009) | Sexual Assault of Nonconsenting Woman Not Taken SeriouslyRonnie (Seth Rogan) has sex with Brandi (Anna Faris) while she's passed out on tequila and antidepressants and pauses realizing that maybe this is not a good thing to do. But it's all good because Brandi wakes up and immediately yells out, "Did I tell you to stop, mother-f*#$*#!?" And so he is free to continue without worry.
- Wedding Crashers (2005) | Sexual Assault or Rape Played for LaughsA depressed and distraught John (Owen Wilson) kisses a bride he's never met before on the cheek and then grabs her face and begins forcibly kissing her on the mouth in a receiving line at a wedding he crashes.
- Varsity Blues (1999) | Sexual Assault of Nonconsenting Woman Not Taken SeriouslyTweeder says, "Listen. You give 'em a Percocet, two Vicodin and a couple of beers, and the panties drop. It's very nice."Staff AsideMox laughs initially and then calls him out saying, "Tweeder, you think you'll enjoy prison?" Tweeder plays an over the top sexist but it's still making light of the very serious idea of drugging women to have sex.
- The Breakfast Club (1985) | Sexual Assault or Rape Played for LaughsJohn hides under a table in the library just as Vice Principal Vernon walks into the room. He hits his head on the table and the group quickly pounds their tables to cover for him. As he adjusts himself he realizes he's staring directly in between Claire's (Molly Ringwald) legs, with the camera zooming in on her opened legs and underwear. He inexplicably puts his head into her crotch and, even though the camera doesn't exactly show it, it's inferred that he violated her because she is shown with a shocked face before the camera goes back below the table to show her squeezing her legs together against his head. He reappears after Vice Principal Vernon leaves and Claire calls him an "as*hole," to which he responds "sue me."Staff AsideClaire (Molly Ringwald) was only sixteen at the time of filming.
- Animal House (1978) | Sexual Assault or Rape Played for LaughsAlpha Delta pledge Pinto is debating whether to have sex with the mayor's unconscious daughter after she passed out drunk on the bedroom floor. He goes back and forth with his "Devil," who forcefully pressures him to rape her and his "Angel," who in a high-pitched "goody two shoe" voice says he will regret it if he does. Even though Pinto eventually sides with his "Angel" the joking nature of the scene downplays rape culture and makes it seem that deciding whether or not to have sex with an unconscious person is a difficult choice.Additional Tropes: Sexual Assault of Nonconsenting Woman Not Taken Seriously