Foreign Countries Depicted Negatively
Table Of Contents
Conservative Trope Examples
- The Hangover Part II (2011) | Developing Countries Depicted as Overly PoorThe guys wake up in an over-the-top dilapidated room in Bangkok, Thailand with outdated radio and a cockroach crawling around. The power also would often go off in the building. But in the original movie, when in America, they woke up in a spectacular suite at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.
- Lord of War (2005) | Developing Countries Depicted as Overly PoorYuri quips, "It's like parking your car in certain neighborhoods in the Bronx. You don't do it." before African locals completely disassembled his crashed cargo plane for parts overnight.
- Cal (Seth Rogan) tells a story about a sex show "of a woman f*cking a horse" he and his friends went to in Tijuana, Mexico. Cal tells Andy he was initially excited about the show, but it wasn't "as cool as it sounds like it would be" and he wound up feeling bad for her and the horse.
- John Creasy (Denzel Washington) is hidden away in a veterinarian clinic from the corrupt Mexican police who are in cahoots with a drug cartel that kidnaps kids for ransom after he is injured trying to prevent kidnappers from taking a young girl he is protecting.
- EuroTrip (2004) | Developing Countries Depicted as Overly PoorThe friends get robbed and have to hitchhike to Berlin, but end up in Bratislava, Slovakia instead upon which Scott exclaims, "Dear sweet mother of God... we're in Eastern Europe!" But all is ok because their mere pocket change lets them live like royalty because, apparently, the country is so desperate and poor in this movie.
- A narrating Willie (Billy Bob Thornton) rants that he's "been to prison once, I’ve been married twice. I was once drafted by Lyndon Johnson and had to live in sh*t-ass Mexico for 2 1/2 years for no reason. I’ve had my eye socket punched in, a kidney taken out and I got a bone-chip in my ankle that’s never gonna heal. I’ve seen some pretty sh*tty situations in my life, but nothing has ever sucked more ass than this!" as he talks about how much he hates being a mall Santa.