Men Asking Fathers for Permission to Marry Their Daughters
Overrepresentation & Double Standard Biases Major Impact
Table Of Contents
Conservative Trope Examples
- In the opening scene, the daughter tells her fiancé how sweet it was that he asked her father for permission to marry her.Staff AsideWhat makes this instance worse is that her father runs a motorcycle street gang, and she finds it sweet that he asked her father of all people.Other Tropes: Women Used to Perpetuate Sexism
- This antiquated custom occurs far more often on screen in Hollywood than in real life. The only reason many people still do it is because they see it on screen.
- You never see men asking their fiancé's mothers for permission to marry nor do you see daughters ask their fiancé's parents for permission either
- social conservatives still practice many antiquated customs such as this one
- many social conservatives believe a woman should be deferential to their husbands and daughters to their fathers
Impact of Trope: Major
Severity: Moderate Prevalence: Common
Think about how often you've seen men asking fathers for permission to marry their daughters. There are lots of movies especially where this happens. And then compare that to how many people you know -- if any -- have asked for permission. Hollywood screenwriters just loves to keep sexist cliches alive.