Women Objectified via Cliches
Table Of Contents
Conservative Trope Examples
- Colin Quinn portraying Amy Townsend's (Amy Schumer) dad tells her he has "no desire for an oriental woman to touch me above the waist" after she encourages him to get acupuncture therapy.Staff AsideWhile played for laughs, the comment plays into the trope about Asian women giving men "happy endings" after a massage.
- The guy's wives dressed in bikini's dramatically appear from behind the fire truck right before a pickup basketball game starts.
- The Dictator (2012) | Sexy Women BodyguardsThe Dictator (Sacha Baron Cohen) has sexy uniformed bodyguards who also wear high heels.Staff AsideThis is satire, of course, making fun of real-life sexist dictators, but the jokes still perpetuate negative stereotypes;such as, the women bodyguards dress sexy and wear high heels. You rarely if ever see comparable satirical scenes about men.
- Bad Teacher (2011) | Car Wash Scenes that Objectify WomenElizabeth Halsey (Cameron Diaz) leads a car wash fundraiser dressed in clothing definitely not suitable for a teacher interacting with middle school students. With a rock ballad playing in the background she proceeds to "wash" a sports car, but intentionally washes herself as much as the car itself. All the dads, middle-school boys and even a police officer couldn't help but stare at Ms. Halsey, with the police officer even crashing into a number of cars before driving away.
- Iron Man (2008) | Women Blowing on Dice for LuckTony Stark flirts with a couple women while playing craps and invites one of them suggestively blow on his dice for good luck. He asks Rhodey (Terrence Howard) to also blow on them for luck, but he pushes his hand away saying "I don't blow on a man's dice" causing an unlucky snake eyes crap roll. The scene at the table exudes glamour and excitement, and even after losing that lost roll, Tony leaves happy.
- Old School (2003) | Women Oil WrestlingWill Ferrell is ringmaster at his fraternity's oil wrestling competition where young scantily clad women wrestle as partiers cheer them on. An 89 year old pledge nicknamed Blue challenges two women to a match and they go topless to distract him, which shocks him so much that he falls over backwards and dies.Additional Tropes: Womens' Looks Used as a Distraction to Men for Laughs
- The Hot Chick (2002) | Women Love Pillow FightsJessica swaps bodies with Rob Schneider and the four of them have a pillow fight while in pajamas to settle an argument.Staff AsideThe pillow fight is spoofed to show how strong Jessica is with Rob Schneider's body, but it is still a pillow fight in PJs.
- One Night at McCool's (2001) | Car Wash Scenes that Objectify WomenLiv Tyler, wearing a tight purple dress that doesn't leave much for the imagination, purposefully sprays herself with a hose, rubs her body all over the car, and suggestively squeezes the soapy suds from the sponge all over her as John Goodman creepily gawks at her from a distance.Additional Tropes: Women Objectified in Overly Gratuitous Scenes
- Bring It On (2000) | Car Wash Scenes that Objectify WomenThe high school cheerleading team at Rancho Carne High School hosts a car wash to raise money for their squad. All the girls on the team dressed in their most comfortable beach attire and spent as much time fooling around and soaking each other as they did washing the cars.
- Bobby (Will Smith) asks his assistant over the phone "do chicks dig lingerie?" as he approaches a lingerie store. Once inside Bobby can't help but turn around and look at the backside of a worker in lingerie as she walks past him before needlessly telling the worker who's trying to help him that he's married. He doesn't know what size his wife is, but then a skinny woman in lingerie walks past them and he points at her (as the camera zooms in on her backside) and the worker says "size 6!" Then she asks him how big his wife's breasts are while the camera zooms in on her chest, but Bobby says "oh, she's way bigger than that."
- Wild Things (1998) | Car Wash Scenes that Objectify WomenNeve Campbell and Denise Richards wash their high school teacher Matt Dillon's jeep for a fundraiser with the camera focused more on their legs than the car. They get into a water fight at some point where their bras become visible through their wet white t-shirts as they stand facing their teacher as he comes to pay.
- Half Baked (1998) | Sexy Women BodyguardsDave Chappelle, Jim Breuer, and Guillermo Diaz fight with a drug lords female body guards dressed in lingerie and in the ensuing melee a breast falls out of one of their bras, which, of course, everyone stops so they can take turns commenting on her exposed breast.
- A "nurse" dressed in a rather revealing costume knocks on Ferris's front door and sings a very suggestive song that leaves little to the imagination of what she was really there for.
- John Belushi climbs a ladder at a sorority house at night and spies on several half naked women having a pillow fight before moving to a second window where school cheerleader Mandy Pepperidge is slowly undressing alone. As she takes off her bra, Belushi smirks and does the "raised double eyebrows" directly into the camera, breaking the fourth wall for laughs as if the audience is enjoying it along with him. Mandy undresses and touches her skin in such a suggestive manner that John Belushi faints and crashes backwards to the ground in a scene that lasted an entire 47 seconds.Staff Aside47 seconds is more than twice the time the CDC recommends to wash your hands to combat viruses like Covid-19